Monday, in its first meeting since the 2-percent county wide restaurant sales tax that funds the Columbus Lowndes Convention and Visitors Bureau died in the Legislature, the CVB board elicited a compromise from local legislators the board hopes will revive the tax and ensure the future of the bureau and the projects it supports.
Each Monday right after school, five students file into Deborah Pounders' biology classroom at Columbus High School for a special project they've been working on since August.
Jackson police are searching for a suspect in what they believe was a homicide of a woman from Starkville last week.
Shadrack White says his work with the Mississippi Justice Institute is about fighting to protect the rights of others.
A Columbus woman who made national headlines in the 1990s after being exonerated for murder had her story told on CNN's Headline News channel Sunday.
1. Story of Columbus teen on death row airs on Headline News COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. SFD investigating Walmart fire as arson STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Restaurant tax: Smith, Younger agree on reducing restaurant tax floor COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY